Here are a few ideas to get you started! But definitely explore and don't be afraid to try new combinations. You never know what you might like!
1. Roasted Garlic Hummus: Basic hummus recipe (garbanzo beans, tahini, a bit of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper) with roasted garlic added to the mix.This is pretty typical, but you can add as much garlic as you want if you make it at home! Roasted garlic is super easy to make. Here is an online tutorial.
2. Chipotle and Cilantro Hummus: Basic hummus recipe (you could sub black beans for garbanzos, though!) adding one chipotle chile plus a bit of adobo (if you like it spicy, add more to taste) and cilantro. You could top it with cilantro to serve, too.
3. Caprese hummus: Garbanzo beans, Roma tomatoes (fresh chopped, or maybe canned would work), basil, extra virgin olive oil and a bit of goat cheese (because it blends better than mozzarella). You could drizzle balsamic over the top before serving for extra flavor! You could easily substitute cannellini beans for garbanzos, too.
4. Spinach and Artichoke Hummus: Basic hummus recipe with fresh cooked (or jarred) artichoke hearts and steamed (or raw) spinach.
5. Caramelized Onion Hummus: Basic hummus recipe (adjust some of the ingredients to taste, if you like) with added caramelized onions. It's pretty easy to caramelize onions, and SUPER delicious. Here is an online tutorial. This idea is based on a cannellini bean and caramelized onion dip I made that was great! I recommend making dips out of other beans, too. Though, for the sake of this post I'm only touching on hummus.
6. Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: Basic hummus recipe adding in jarred roasted red peppers. You can always roast your own red peppers, too, I just think the jarred ones are less expensive. Typically, red bells are one of the most expensive produce items around here!
What are some of your favorite hummus combinations? :)